Thursday, November 25, 2010

Chocolate Whoopie Pies


It’s so nice to get back to baking after so long, I have missed my little kitchen. While I was away I picked up a number of new cookbooks, one of them being Whoopie Pies. I have wanted to try making some whoopie pies for some time, especially after seeing lovely pictures on a number of other blogs.

For my first time making whoopie pies I decided to try out the classic Chocolate whoopie with marshmallow fluff filling. The flavour of the pies was intense chocolate and very yummy but I wasn’t super happy with them, no matter how high I piled the batter my whoopies came out a bit flat. Because I only brought home one tub of marshmallow fluff I decided to save it for some whoopies I am happier with and whipped up some vanilla buttercream instead.

I will definitely be trying them again, and other recipes from the book.

Oh and just because I’m getting very excited about Christmas, these whoopies decided to dress up.



Classic Chocolate Whoopie Pie

(from Whoopie Pies by Sarah Billingsley and Amy Treadwell)

1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (at room temp)
1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk

To make the whoopies- Position a rack in the centre of the oven and preheat to 190 degrees c. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.

Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt into a bowl.


In a second bowl, beat together butter, shortening and brown sugar, on a low speed until just combined. Increase the beater speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy.


Add the egg and vanilla essence and continue beating for another 2 minutes until very light in colour.


Add half the flour mixture and half of the milk to the butter and sugar and beat until just combined.


Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, add the remaining halves of the flour and milk and beat until completely combined.


Using a spoon, drop around 1 tablespoon of batter onto the baking tray, spacing them at least 2 inches apart.

Bake the whoppie pies one tray at a time for about ten minutes, or until the whoppies bounce back when lightly poked.

Remove the whoopee pies from the oven, let them cool on the trays for at least 5 minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool completely.


Spread or pipe buttercream onto the whoopie pies with buttercream and sandwich together.

For the Vanilla Buttercream

3 cups icing sugar
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (at room temp)
3 to 4 tablespoons whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt

To make the Buttercream- In a bowl, beat together butter and sugar on medium speed for about 1 minute until mixture is crumbly. Add the cream, vanilla and salt and beat on high until frosting is smooth, about 3 minutes.

8 comments:

  1. Flat whoopies are such a disappointment! They still look lovely though! I have the perfect choc whoopie recipe (see my blog post). It is a Martha Stewart recipe! Nx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nadia, I will try it out next time.
    Kara :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book and all the whoopies recipes I have tried have come out flat. I've had more success with recipes online. Your whoopies do look really yummy though poofy or not. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Those look delectable...looks like you got it right on the first try :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there,
    I've just found your beautiful, beautiful blog!
    I absolutely love your recipes. These whoopie pies look great; although I've never tried to make them myself. I'm off to explore the rest of your recipes...so sorry if you get a comment overload ;)
    Ps. I love your picture taking skills

    ReplyDelete
  6. For someone who has never made or eaten a whoopie pie but has lusted after them for a while now, these look amazing! I wouldn't even know that they were a little flat - and most importantly I bet they were still insanely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you tell me what substitute can we use here in Australia to vegetable shortner. I cant find vegetable shortner anywhere. Is it Copha.

    ReplyDelete